Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A First Taste of Indiana Bananas

No, an Indiana Banana is not some new brand of politician; I'm talking about the fruit of the Pawpaw tree.

This spring I posted some pictures of this tree's beautiful early spring flowers. The culmination of those beautiful flowers are hanging off the trees at Coffee Creek today.

The leaves of the tree are large and truly resemble banana leaves. I managed to find a tiny ripe fruit that had fallen to the ground and broke it open for my first Pawpaw taste.

The verdict on Pawpaw taste; it is delicious. It does resemble a banana in texture, and the taste is something like a banana with a twist of lime.

 I vote for more of these lovely and delicious native trees that produce fruit without pesticides or special fertilizers.        

No comments:

Post a Comment